Wednesday, 6 October 2010

Still Alive!

I'm still alive and occasionally trading in the markets. During my 3 years of trading full time I always had it in the back of my head that I wouldn't be trading on Betfair for the rest of my (hopefully) long life! So I have always kept an open eye for any other opportunities that might come my way. That opportunity came, which was to start a business. I won't reveal too much about the business yet, but when it's launched and running smoothly I will post a little bit up here about it for those who bump into the blog as an early trader starting out and wonders what the hell I'm doing now. It's not Betfair related in any way, I've decided to dive in the deep end into a whole new industry and marketplace! My distinct lack of posting meant that I had clearly drowned from all the water I'd been consuming to stay hydrated!! I always had the intention to post, but in summary I think it was just a natural progression for me because I had my mind set on another goal. The business idea came about in October last year, and looking back on my results it started to subtly affect them. When I set no goal in the new year, I really had nothing to aim for. I also dropped my daily target because I just didn't know what to set it at. I reached my peak and I didn't want to lower it. It was something I had to accept as Betfair horse racing markets reached their limit for the number of users and liquidity they were going to provide.

I still trade to pay for my rent and food, but that's about it. I don't want to eat into my time for growth of my new venture with the business partner I've got. One thing that's new and interesting I'm really enjoying now is what's called Toastmasters. I'm sure some of you will have heard of it; it's a non-profit organisation for improving public speaking, communication and leadership skills. I was a shy boy when I was younger so I never really got stuck in to many conversations with an opinion. It's right outside my comfort zone and the experience I'm gaining from it is invaluable. I've just completed my ice breaker speech which didn't go as well as my expectations said it would!, but it was the first prepared speech I'd given in 3 or 4 years. The thing I most look forward to from being a member is the ability to communicate exactly my opinion or what I'm thinking to whoever I strike a conversation with. I've always had rational opinions in my head but could never voice them so everyone understood me. If anyone's interested I'd recommend taking a look at their website www.toastmasters.org. They have clubs all over the world; 14,000 was the most recent figure I heard, in over 108 countries. It's well-structured and perfect for anybody at any standard, with support from all the members - it's such a great idea, I wish I had joined when I had just started out at University.

So going back to trading. I'll trade whatever day happens to be the least busiest for me. I'm calmer and have much less expectation that I used to have, which thankfully brings a lot less stress! But perhaps without that stress I took to get to where I did, I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing now. I still experience eagerness whenever I look at a race and the numbers; a feeling of excitement when you were a kid and there was a fairground just around the corner!

No comments: