Thursday, 17 December 2009

What I've learnt (Part 1)

Well the markets have been far from great lately. I don't know what I'm comparing against because most days I'm more likely to say that they're poor and not great. At least they are good enough to get something out of. I've been looking forward to writing this post (and Part 2) for a while because I really feel I've learnt a lot about myself, the markets, traits and other people.

I'll start with what I've learnt about myself over this year while I've been doing the challenge. I quickly saw myself very zoned in to making as much money as possible; it was hard not to when I was getting better at trading the markets, and to a certain extent I did that. But it was always an artificial high, it was if I wasn't hitting the sweet spot every day I wouldn't be as happy as I was when I did, and I thought to myself over a long period of time.. why? Well it's mostly my way of thinking, as is the same with any perceived negative situation. So all these questions really just got me thinking what I was trying to achieve, because initially it was more and more money. But what would I do with that - buy a bigger TV, and a house? Then what? So over the last year I've really managed to unravel so much subconscious thinking that goes behind every decision made to see what really is my truth. It's really fascinated and gives me a more natural longer lasting high than, "Yes I made £500 in that race!". This is all coming from me; my story, someone else will have a different outlook. So being successful at this trading is more of a personal Outer success, where what I would much rather achieve is person Inner success. It all sounds funny talk, if I read this a year ago I'd think I was crazy!
So my lack of enthusiasm for making more money from trading has faded, it's still there and will always be there no matter what I do - I have set standards I believe I can achieve, but with awareness of my Self.

Along with my new ways of thinking and questioning my thoughts and actions, what makes the feeling so much better is keeping fit and eating/drinking healthily. I enjoy a combination of the Bikram yoga I do, which I go 2-3 times a week. The benefits are so good! You should check it out, it's the fastest growing yoga and I know why. It's extremely good for any bodily ache or pain, it's great for fitness; my heart beats as fast as when I run when I'm doing it, and after many times of doing it, it's such a great mental workout because it's so tough to keeping going for an hour and a half in the heat and do every asana to your best ability - pushing yourself every time!

I know there's more I want to write, so I'll leave it for Part 2!

*Update - just a quick message to say that those who have subscribed to Racing UK like me, will surely have had their Christmas wishes come true by their Annual Racing UK 2010 members badge coming through the post today! Sarcasm aside, it's actually quite friendly; more than Betfair have ever given me!

5 comments:

Jeff Waters said...

Adam - I would recommend you read a book called Jonathan Livingstone Seagull. From what you've written, I think you would like like it.

I've enjoyed reading your blog this year, and hope you continue next year.

All the best.

Jeff

Anonymous said...

Hello Adam - As many others have done - I've followed your blog from the start with great interest. I started trading around about the same time as you but with different fortunes. You have gone from strength to strength while I have stuggled to keep making enough to keep going (full time). However I still feel that you offer some inspiration and I continue to work at it.

However I think that we have something much more important in common - you have over the time of writing your blog come to examine your values. What is really important in life and that is definately not money. Many have fallen foul of a continued search for more and more of the stuff without it making them happy.

Since starting to dedicate myself to a daily practice of Ashtanga yoga a couple of years ago and with a growing understanding of myself, I think that spiritual growth is the most important thing to me.

I do still need to put corn on the table so I recognise that this side of the balance still needs some work also.

I now have children your age I only wish that I had recognised at your age what was really important in life.

Good luck to you on your trading and spiritual path.

Tim

Ed said...

Adam, Happy Christmas. Your more recent comments seem to indicate to me a faster phsychological change than I expected. Probably directly proportional to the amount/type of reading you've been doing and the level of income you've earned. My question: What is the single most significant/beneficial psychological change in you over the last year, in trading terms? Thank you. Ed.

Anonymous said...

I think he's going down the drain, since a few months, but doesn't wanna tell anyone. That's why he managed to put up his "suggesting site". LOL

Talkbet said...

Hello mate, nice blog have added a link to it, would you mind linking back to mine ?
http://talkbet.typepad.com

Thanks!