Thursday, 31 December 2009

2009, the end of the challenge!

Well, it has come to the end of the year and my challenge. Looking back it was a hugely successful year for me on Betfair. When I started the challenge I thought realistically I could have made about 170k if I was consistent, and that was exciting. It was a challenging year at certain points, requiring high concentration levels every day. The days I was not fully 100% committed mentally, I lost money. Thankfully that didn't happen too many times. The total I made was £296,208.92. The Betfair premium charge reduced that profit by approximately 20% equalling £59,240. I haven't got the stats for the whole year but I traded roughly 4000 horse races averaging between £70 and £75 a race. I didn't realise when I started it was possible to do that but it definitely is if you reach the peaks. I know there are at least 3 other people who trade on horse racing markets that make similarly large amounts - you can see and feel them in the markets. Below that it's harder to estimate but there are probably at least a hundred who make a full-time living from trading the same markets.

As for a new challenge? Well, I will continue to set daily goals. I won't set a yearly target, because it doesn't have as much meaning for me. I like to take each day as it comes. And with regards to the blog, I will continue to post! I won't be posting as much of how much I make, but I will post the occasional P&L so you know roughly how well I'm fairing in the ever more competitive markets - especially since the markets feel as though they've contracting.

I hope you all had a great 2009, and probably by the time anyone reads this, a good new years eve. I'm looking forward to 2010, I've no idea what it will bring, but that's where the excitement lies!

8 comments:

Jeff Waters said...

Well done on an amazing achievement!

What do you think separates you from the traders who earn a living from Betfair, but make far lesser amounts? Do you have better techniques, or do you think it's down to your psychological approach?

carevo said...

Hi Adam
I expect you had a good party last night... here it was great
I sent you an email some days ago, and it eould be great if you could answer that...

Thanks a lot and have a nice 2010
Chris
carevolution@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Adam, Congratulations on your success and Happy New Year! It's been very interesting following your blog for the year. Thanks for taking the time to show us all what can be done and good luck in the future.

Francis Leavey said...

Congratulations on a great acheivement Adam. Hope 2010 brings you success and fulfillment.

warm wishes

Fran

2% Trader said...

Well Done Adam and good luck for the future. It has been very interesting reading your blog.

Regards

Anonymous said...

Very interesting project and many congratulations on what I think was an astonishing return. Your a very skilled operator in the market and I wish you well for the future.

Anonymous said...

Hello Adam,

Can you do a video of your P&L summary for the year. Just want to believe there is light at the end of the tunnel for my trading. Cheers & Thanks for writing the blog this year.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on a stonking year, I've been following your blog with great interest and admiration. I think you should give a couple of futures trading arcades a call, I believe that you would fare extremely well - and the leverage and sheer amount of money being traded there could swell your profits massively.